This is the longest I’ve been single in 6 years and sometimes it’s lonely. At times, I worry that I’m missing out, or passing up too many people, or that I’ll end up alone forever. I can’t compare myself to other people’s relationships or even my past relationships anymore though… I’m on a different path.
My Previous Formula for Relationships:
1. Find the right person
2. Fall in love. Determine everything by how I feel.
3. Put all my hopes and dreams on that person
4. When it doesn’t work, assume I have the wrong person and start the process over with someone else.
My New Formula for Relationships:
1. Focus on becoming the right person
2. Walk in love and compassion for everyone.
3. Set my hopes and dreams on God, knowing that human relationships can’t fulfill me or make me whole. Only God can.
4. If that doesn’t work, start again at step 1– becoming the kind of woman God wants me to be. I know that He will make me into the perfect match for my future husband.
I’m clinging to hope and trying to keep my heart open to possibilities. I’m fighting the fear and doubt that try to take residence in the corner of my mind. Someday, I’ll give my heart to someone who wants the same things I do. Someday, I’ll know that all this waiting was worth it. Someday, I’ll get this right.